I’ve long known Henry Purcell’s wonderful opera Dido and Aeneas, and I’ve listened to many versions over the years. I particularly love the Dido’s lament aria. And then last night I heard a version which was new to me, recorded by the late, great Jeff Buckley at the Meltdown Festival. I was driving in to Edinburgh at the time, and if I hadn’t been on the A1 I would have stopped the car. As it was I drove on with tears in my eyes. It’s just heartbreaking. I’ve just listened to it again on YouTube and it’s had the same effect on me.
- Stepping down April 29, 2017
- Past and Present March 7, 2017
- Ian Hamilton Finlay, Little Sparta and other matters February 18, 2017
- An Epiphany January 29, 2017
- The trouble with phones January 20, 2017